Scafe, Doris Lorraine

October 14, 1932 – October 11, 2022
at the age of 89 years:     

It is with profound sadness and heavy hearts that we, the family of Doris Lorraine Scafe, announce her peaceful passing in her sleep at The Hamlets in Vernon, BC.  She was 89 years old, just 3 days shy of her 90th birthday.

She was a loving Mom, Grandma, Great Grandma, Aunt, Cousin, and friend.

Mom will be lovingly remembered by her 6 children:  Robert (Cathy) Scafe, Cathy McCauley, Cindy (Craig) Fleischhacker, Gord (Barb) Scafe, Valerie (Fred) Nakashima and Barry Scafe. Also, she will be dearly remembered by her Grandchildren:  Kyle (Brittany), Dustin (Kelsey), Colin (Cassy), Todd, Carleigh, Cohl (Shaynae), Leah (Akli), Conor (Shawna), Brady (Spencer), Ryland, Wyatt (Kirstie) and her Great Grandchildren:  Gianna and Luca, Carter, Carrisa, Kayden, and Jaxx, Syd, Jayde and Rylee, Levi, Lenayah and Dawson, Georgia, and her Niece Debra (Steve) Earl, Nephew Gary (Brenda) Brown, Cousins and their families, and friends.

Mom was predeceased by her parents Otto Ketola in 1953 and Lily Valli (Ketola, Wuori) in 1992, her husband of 55 years, Gordon Stanford Scafe in 2008, her son-in-law Dan McCauley in 2008, her Step-father Henry (Heikki) Valli in 1993, her 2 sister-in-laws and their husbands Helen (1996) and George Saunders, Vera (2008) and Pat Brown, and her very special nephew Dennis Saunders in 2008.  

Mom was born at St. Paul’s Hospital in Vancouver, BC. A beautiful little fair skinned doll with jet black hair.  She was an only child and definitely Daddy’s girl.

As a young child, mom loved spending time with her Dad Otto at his restaurants The Hembegden and The Stockholm in Vancouver. She had such fond memories which she shared with us.

Mom began her schooling in Vancouver in 1938 and attended Hastings Elementary School.  During the Easter holiday of 1943 they moved to the family farm (the Wuori’s) situated in White Creek Valley at Balmoral, BC.  They all lived in the new house that her Grandpa had just built.  It was a full house with Mom, her Mom and Dad, her Grandma and Grandpa, and Uncles Leonard and Taito Wuori.  Eventually, Grandpa moved the old house to the other side of the Creek so that there was a house now on each side.  How he got that house over the bridge she could not recall!  Mom and her parents then lived in the new house and the Grandparents and Uncles lived in the old house.  She continued with her schooling at Balmoral School, a one-room schoolhouse for Grades 1-8.  This school now sits on the Historic O’Keefe Ranch.  If you visit the O’Keefe Ranch be sure to go see it and wander into the school.  You will see some of Mom’s school books that she donated.

After Grade 8 was completed she attended the Salmon Arm Consolidated High School.  At that time, there was no bus service to Salmon Arm for the kids living out in the country.  Mom boarded in Salmon Arm half of Grade 9 with the Mickelson’s and then moved next door to board the remainder of that year with the Laitinen’s.  Otto would come and pick her up to be home for the weekends.  For Grades 10-12 a bus service was put in place so Mom was happy to be able to live at home on the farm. They  lived there until August of 1950.  The building of a new family home was completed. It was just up the hill and across the TCHWY.  This was later to become Mom and Dad’s home and the 160 acre farm we kids grew up on.  Mom only lived there for the first 2 weeks though because after graduation she moved back to Vancouver and lived with her Auntie Alma and Uncle Waino Lindgren to attend Vancouver Vocational Institute.  She enrolled in Business Education Courses which involved legal documents, and also a Stenographers course.  Mom enjoyed both the time spent with her Aunt and Uncle, and living in Vancouver.  She loved getting dressed up in nice skirts, suit jackets and the colour of her shoes always had to match the colour of her purse.  Mom loved her red shoes and purses.

Mom’s first job was when she was in high school. She worked at Copeland’s Store in White Lake BC, working weekends and summer holidays until her graduation in 1950 and move to Vancouver.  It was Mr. Harry Copeland, who she admired and respected, who walked her down the aisle on her wedding day.  Mom and Dad were married at the St. Mary’s Anglican Church in Sorrento, BC on September 12, 1953.  Her Dad Otto was unfortunately unable to attend as he was ill in the Salmon Arm Hospital.  

After finishing Business School Mom was hired at Canadian Liquid Air in Vancouver where she was on switch board, was a stenographer, typed up letters and documents, and did up invoices. Mom said she thoroughly enjoyed this job.  She worked there until 1952, returning back home to live with her Mom, as her Dad was not well.  She loved and adored him so.  He had heart complications which saw him in and out of the hospital.  After some time spent at home, Mom moved to Kamloops as she got a job in the office of the Ministry of Transportation and Highways.  Mom was very proud to say that the then Minister of Highways Phil Gaglardi would call upon her to take shorthand dictation for him. During this time, her and her good friend Mary Pakka boarded together on Dominion Street.

Sadly, Mom’s Dad Otto Ketola passed away the following month after Mom and Dad’s wedding. Mom and Dad began their married  life and having children in Kamloops where Dad worked for the CPR and mom was at the Ministry. 

Mom really loved and was good at her jobs.  She was very respected for her secretarial and stenographer skills, as well as her softball playing!  There was a bit of a buzz around the office after her first time playing for the office team due to her strong arm and batting skills.  A few eyebrows were raised.

After a few years they moved back home to the family farm and raised us, their 6 children.  All of us kids remember, and still talk about it today, how hard mom worked.  She “never had 2 kids in diapers” and her daily chores were milking cows, tending to chickens, pigs, cattle, horses, kittens and dogs.  Plus all the other chores that come with having a farm.  She also grew, every year, an enormous vegetable garden.  Not to mention the fruit – raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, red currants, black currants cherries, pears, apricots, several apple trees, and plums.  We always had canned fruit through the winters.  Mom also had an incredible green thumb and thus beautiful flower gardens.  She loved her flowers.  Mom did all this and more all while ensuring that there was fresh baking done daily for when her children came home from school and the homework was done.  After each and every dinner there was always a freshly made dessert.  Mom was non stop busy with homemade breads, butter, jams, canning, preserves, baking, cooking, housework, farm chores, gathering and chopping wood for winter with Dad, haying, harvesting, raising 6 kids, not to mention the dishes that had to be washed. Remember now, this was the 50’s,  60’s, and 70’s we are talking about. A single bathroom between us all, 1 outhouse, no washing machines for dishes or clothes, no electric or gas heat, drinking water was hauled in, and wood was gathered and chopped for our heating.  During haying seasons Mom always had refreshments and sandwiches ready for us at the barn when we came in with a load of hay.  Yes, our Mom was remarkable to say the least. Our fond Christmas memories always included Grandma (Mom’s mom Lily) and Grandpa Heikki coming over from Chase to spend the day with all of us, enjoying an incredible meal plus  having a Sauna bath; a true Finnish Sauna that the men in the family built.  Christmas was of a course an all day event for Mom. Preparing and baking the biggest turkey and ham dinner with all the fixings, homemade buns, and of course an assortment of pies, just because she knew not all of us kids liked pumpkin pie back then.  And did I mention the dishes to wash?

Mom always welcomed the neighbours over for piping hot coffee and freshly baked treats.  School friends were also welcomed to the family home.  Mom was more than happy to have them stay for a meal, overnight or for a sauna.  The door was always open to stop in for coffee and a snack, or on Sundays for a pancake eating contest.  She was affectionately known as “Mom Scafe” to many.

Mom was an active member of the PTA at Carlin Elementary School.  She also would put entries of her home baked goods and canning in the Salmon Arm Fall Fair resulting in many a ribbon.  In September 1982 Mom won Grand Prize at the Fair! 

As we got older we were able to help out on the farm of course, which we look back upon happily. Mom would assign chores to us.  Mom also worked at Tappen CO-OP for a spell which she also really enjoyed.  When all of us kids had finished school, Mom and Dad sold the farm and moved to Shuswap Lake Estates, then later to Sorrento. Mom worked at the Sorrento Visitors Centre for the 2001 season and she also was the Avon distributor in the Blind Bay and Sorrento areas.

Once Dad retired they could be spotted boating and fishing on Shuswap Lake, spending many hours there and enjoying every moment.  They also visited many other lakes and dropped their lines.  Mom and Dad were happy to see us kids when we dropped in to visit with our families.  And yes, the coffee was put on and there were treats to savour.  They would go out for a drive and end up stopping in at one of our homes for a visit too, and there was their daily coffee with friends at Toby’s in Sorrento.  Mom and Dad loved their trip to Hawaii with family, so much so that they did return, but for longer!

Mom was very athletic too.  As well as playing softball she also played badminton. Quite often they would play over on the North Shore of the Shuswap.  Mom was in bowling leagues at J Lanes in Salmon Arm and had bowling milestone award pins and trophies.  And she loved, loved, loved dancing.   She would tell us stories that in her younger years there was quite a large bunch of friends who would go to all the dances at the halls in each of the surrounding communities.  She never sat down!  She was a hot commodity on the dance floor, and received many a compliment. Get in line boys! 

After Dad’s passing, Mom moved from Sorrento to Vernon, BC.  She continued to make her Christmas cakes, cookies, butter tarts and squares for family until moving into The Hamlets in Vernon.  The family always looked forward to her Christmas baking.  All made with heaping cups of love.  Mom thoroughly enjoyed her trips to Las Vegas, Alaska on a cruise ship,  bus tours with friends, and especially Hawaii with family.  

Mom was a lover of all animals, with great fondness she would talk about her childhood’s black Cocker Spaniel dog she had named Skippy.  She did not ever want to miss watching the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Shows.  She grew up around horses which she also loved.  And was fond of her wild birds she would feed.  Mom enjoyed watching sports and kept right up with baseball, tennis, golf, horse racing, curling, hockey, Nascar’s big races, Olympics and other major sporting events, especially if Finland was playing.  She absolutely loved the Toronto Blue Jays (Dodgers second favourite, Yankees, definitely not!) and Tiger Woods.  Mom cried many a tear watching some of Tiger’s last tournaments this year. She also loved doing crosswords and Sudoku, watching games shows, especially Jeopardy, the Wheel of Fortune, and the old re-runs on the Game Show channel.  She had the best sense of humour and the absolute best smile and laugh.  Mom always loved to hear and tell a good joke.  Yes, even the bit naughty ones.  She was the strongest and most hard working woman we knew and will ever know.

When Mom moved in to the Hamlets she looked forward to family’s and friend’s phone calls and visits.  She enjoyed reminiscing of times past, telling us stories and retelling her favourite ones. We all loved the ones about the farm and would always remind her that she was exceptional, such a great mom.  And raising all of us kids and doing what she did on the farm!  Wow!  So we’d ask her “How did you do it Mom?”  Her answer was always, “I don’t know, I just did it, and I have no complaints”.

Family was number one to Mom, she loved all of us so much.  We are going to miss her beyond words.  A piece of  our hearts is now missing.

The family would like to say a very special thank you to Herman Halvorsen.  Herman called our mom nearly every day, for years, and she loved the chats and his visits.  He was always included and invited with us when taking mom to the Casino or out for meals and get togethers.   You were a phone call and a person mom really looked forward to hearing from and seeing. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts Herman.

As per Mom’s request, she was cremated and there will be no formal funeral service.  A family viewing prior to her cremation was at Fischer’s Funeral Services and Crematorium on October 14th, her 90th birthday.  A family graveside ceremony  took place at 1:00 PM on October 30th at the Notch Hill Cemetery, where she was laid to rest beside Dad.

                Mom, we no longer see you with our eyes or touch you with our hands
                                  but we will feel you with our hearts forever.



  1. If all people were as thoughtful and kind as Doris the world would be a much better place. Rest In Peace my friend ok

  2. If all people were as thoughtful and kind as Doris the world would be a much better place. Rest In Peace my friend

  3. Dear Val, Fred, Ryland and families,

    Sending you all our deepest sympathy in the loss of your dear Mom.
    How fortunate you were to have her love all these years – and so many special memories you hold in your heart.
    She will always be with you. xo

  4. Doris is missed here at the Hamlets. We had lots of good conversations with her. She always looked out for my aunt, Elizabeth, who was her table mate. Rest In Peace Doris.❤️

  5. Cindy Craig Rob Cathy and families
    I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your mom.
    I know she was dearly loved and regarded by you all and will be missed.
    Best Wishes
    Lorraine Reichelt

  6. My deepest sympathy to the whole family.

  7. My deepest sympathy to the family.

  8. My sincere condolences to the family of Doris Scafe. Doris baby sat me when she was a young girl, worked for my grandfather in his country general store as a teenager. Good memories of her.
    Vickie Barron
    Kelowna, BC

  9. Dear Robert, Cathy, Cindy, Gordie, Valerie and Barry,
    We are so sorry to hear of your moms passing. Your mom was very special to me and I thought the world of “mom Scafe”. Please know that we send our most heartfelt sympathy and our thoughts are with you all. Treasure all the good memories, there were quite a few that I recall.
    With love,
    Peggie and Greg Grant

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call Now Button